Thursday, December 14, 2006

HOMEWORK HELL

Okay, does anyone else have a first grader that gets as much homework as mine?? Dawson has homework every night. Every night he has to read a book, study his spelling words and vocab words. In addition to that, Monday's he has 2 math pages, Tuesday's he has a math page and a writing page, Wednesday's he has to write his 10 spelling words in sentence, Thursday's he has to write his 10 spelling words 2 times each and has to use his vocab words in a sentence. Plus on Friday, he has to turn in a reading log signed by me listing all the books he read during the week! UGH I know this probably sounds bad, and I would never say this to him, but I hate dealing with homework. I mean, don't they learn all this stuff at school? I just think they should have to read every night and study their math, vocab and spelling. Now, since he missed two days of school, he has 10 other pages to do on top of all of that! I just want to know how people with more than one elementary age kid keeps up with all of this because I have a difficult time with one! By the time we get home, cook dinner, do homework, pack lunches, sign papers and get baths.........it's time for bed! Just wondering if anyone else finds this to be exhausting!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Noah is in first grade too, but he doesn't have nearly that much homework. On Monday's they send home a packet to work on the week that's due on Friday and we get an empty calendar to sign for the days either he reads to us or vice versa which is only due at the end of the month. They do a ton of work during the day and he always brings home a stack of papers, but as far as homework goes, I think what he gets is really fair for first grade...

Crystal said...

I think he's getting a fair amount too. I just think all the work Daws gets is way too much for first grade. Do you think I should talk to the teacher or just suck it up and stop complaining!?

Jamie said...

I don't know. We had an issue with Noah's teacher and tried to bring it up with her at the conference and we were very nice and non-attacking, but she was very set in her ways and thought she knew way more than we did, so it was pretty fruitless. But I can't say for sure how you're teacher would react to it.

SamandSawyersMom said...

no clue

Crystal said...

Big help, Son. thanks. LOL