Tuesday, August 26, 2008

SOME CRAZY STUFF ABOUT THIS HOUSE

Okay, it's truly been one crazy ride, getting work done on this house! I have avoided posting about it until now because it was just too stressful to talk about at the time! ugh!

I am going to type this more in an outline form so I don't begin to babble.

First, we met a guy who was working on the house next door, remodeling the entire thing....he came to us and told us that he would do all the work on our house for 13,000 and that included putting in all new windows, a whole new garage, a new deck all and all new siding on the house! This price even included the supplies! Shawn's brother Kevin, who is overseeing this whole process said that was a steal! So, we agreed to let the guy do the work.

A few weeks pass.......no sign of the neighbor guy (named Mike). We later find out from another neighbor that Mike didn't really own the house next door, he got paid to remodel the house and then split with the job not even half done and apparently he is notorious for doing this.

The neighbor who warned us about Mike, said he and his crew would do the work for the same price....we thought, wow, what a nice guy to warn us and to be willing to do the work at such a low price. So, Kevin hired the guy, his name is Chris.

Chris and some guys came out and started the work on the garage, and a few hours after arriving was picked up by the police and put in jail for 4 days due to non-payment of child support! ugh! So, several of his guys came to finish the work on the garage. Chris got out of jail and refused to pay the guys since he wasn't planning on that much labor cost! Guys get ticked at Chris, so Chris is on his own to do all the work. We had already paid Chris the down payment according to our signed contract with him but due to his jail stay, he had to spend all that money to get out. Then he started asking for more money before it was due to him, per the contract. Kevin began to pay him daily in little installments and still not alot was getting done on the house......we went weeks like this and then Chris came over, packed up all his equipment when no one was home and left town in the middle of the job and left us with a half finished house! Needless to explain, he did what he warned us Mike would do! Boy do we feel like suckers!

Oh, I forgot one more thing, while he was working one day, he unplugged our freezer we have in the garage that I use to store all my grocery deals and he left it unplugged for 3 days and ruined about 300 bucks worth of food and said he'd give us the money to replace it and he never has!!! I cried for two hours over all my hard work that got ruined!!!

So, it's been a stressful fiasco! Now, we have a real company finishing the house and it will be done by the end of the day tomorrow. Finally a hard working honest crew!!!

We have our appraisal set for two weeks from now and Shawn and I were approved for the loan so after the appraisal, we will close on the house about 30 days after that and it will be officially ours and his parents will be out from underneath it and paid completely back what they have spent!!!

Shawn and I will be sooo glad when this is all over! It's been a Blessing but stressful!!!!! We do love our beautiful home tho and we are extremely thankful to his generous parents!!!!

I will take pics when the house is complete.

This coming labor day weekend, Shawn and I will be doing all the last minute touches on the house to prepare for the appraisal. We will be painting the porch, staining the deck, cleaning out the garage, painting the kitchen cabinets, painting our bedroom, hanging all the window treatments in the house that we just purchased and pouring a new driveway. Do you think we will get all of it done in our three days off???? YIKES!

Shawn says he's planning on working his butt off to get it done in one day so he can have Sunday and Monday off.........THAT BOY IS DREAMING!!!!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh wow! That is very stressful. If I had known all this was going on you could have had my dad come and do the work for you. He would have given you an honest estimate and he does wonderful work.

Can't wait to see it all finished!

Cheryl said...

oh my!!! I am glad it is finally actually done. can't wait to see pics!

Char said...

Oh my gosh! wow! that really stinks. I'm glad it is all working out now. I hate when things like that happen!
Good luck getting everything all done this weekend.
Can't wait for the pictures!

Crystal said...

Oh and Shawn's parents are taking Chris to small claims court to get their money back and we will be a part of the suit too so we can get our grocery loss returned as well.

Amanda said...

wow! That is quite an ordeal! I am sorry that you had such a rough stretch. I am so glad that it will all be done soon though!

I can't wait to see the pics!

SamandSawyersMom said...

i was going to mention small claims

Lura said...

That stinks about the guys who didn't do what they were supposed to. About the freezer thing, a friend of mine at work had the same thing happen about a month ago w/ guys working at her house building an addition.

kellerie said...

how awful for you! too many dishonest people in the world. i'm glad it all worked out in the end, and i'm sure it will be beautiful.