Well, my mom inlaw just had knee replacement surgery on Tuesday and has been recovering in the hospital all week. She gets released today. She had been putting this surgery off for a long long time and just couldn't put it off any longer. Her surgery went very well and she's doing fine, however, she cannot put any weight on her leg for 10 weeks!!!!
As you know, my dad inlaw is in a wheelchair and is completely dependent on her to take care of him. Since she cannot put weight on her leg, she cannot care for him at all. So, this means the whole family has to pitch in and take care of both of them.
Kevin and Marcia (Shawn's brother and his wife) live about 10 mins from mom and dad and will be doing most of the caretaking but the weekends will be mine and Shawn's responsibility since we live 45 mins away and can't be there during the week.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love my inlaws to pieces and would do anything for them..........they have done sooo much for us, it's the least we can do. However, since Shawn and I work opposite shifts during the week and never see each other, the weekends are all we have together as a family. Over the next 10 weeks, we won't even see each other much on the weekends and it will be hard.
Shawn and Daws will be spending every Friday night with mom and dad and I will relieve them Saturday afternoon and spend the night every Saturday night. Shawn and I can't stay together since we have animals at home that need to be taken care of plus, it gets a bit boring over there for Daws. So, I won't even get to see my baby much either.
I know I sound like I am complaining but like I said, I have no problem with helping out, I love them very much, it's just going to be hard not seeing my husband and child very much.
I am also very worried about my capabilities. I am not very strong at all and whenever I have lifted and transferred my dad inlaw, I have always had my mom inlaw, standing there helping me along but she can't stand and help at all and that scares me. I have no training for this and have no upper body strength and am so worried I won't be able to do it on my own. I will be responsible for dressing him, taking him to the bathroom and putting him into bed at night. The bathroom thing isn't pleasant but I have done it before, I just worry about doing it alone. I will also have to do all of this for her as well.......I hope I am physically able to do it.
If you guys can pray for all us, I would really appreciate it. It's going to tough on all of us I'm sure. thanks!
P.S. I will have internet over there so I can keep in touch!

3 comments:
wow. i wish they would let me help. i would do a shift.
I know it is tough.
Hang in there.
my mother in law had knee replacement surgery about 1 1/2 years ago and still has a hard time putting any type of pressure on that knee. She has had alot of physical therapy and its a long process. I will pray for you and your family. It may not be as bad as it seems right now (taking care of your in laws part) Not seeing Shawn and Daws will be tough.
Oh, wow. I know that has to be tough. But, what an awesome daughter-in-law you are for helping them!!!
Post a Comment